A ZAKA man had his left arm seriously burnt by a mysterious fire in a suspected case of witchcraft. Tinashe Dzinavatonga (42) of Chibharo Village under Chief Nhema, had his left arm badly burnt while guarding a farm at Tongaat Hulleta��s Mkwasine Sugar Estate and two fingers have since been amputated.
He is admitted at Masvingo General Hospitala��s surgical ward where he is awaiting skin drafting.
Narrating the ordeal, Dzinavatonga said when tragedy struck he was on duty at Mkwasine Estate where he works as a security guard a�� his left hand caught fire from nowhere.
a�?It was around 10pm when I was on duty at Mkwasine Estates and was guarding Makumucha sugarcane farm. I just saw a flame from nowhere before it caught my left hand. I screamed for help and my colleague who was guarding the next farm came to my rescue and managed to put out the fire but I was already badly burnt,a�? said Dzinovatonga.
He said two fingers were seriously burnt leaving them with skeletal bones and had to be amputated.
a�?My two fingers had the whole flesh badly burnt that doctors had no choice apart from cutting off the fingers. I am recuperating now although I am in excruciating pain. The mysterious incident surprised many that even my bosses are failing to come to terms with what transpired,a�? he added.
When contacted for comment, Memory Makumucha, a relative to the owner of the premises, said they were still shocked and afraid to hire another security guard.
a�?We were shocked to learn of the tragedy. This is a tragedy because Dzinovatonga is a loyal and hardworking worker who would go an extra mile assuming other responsibilities beyond his actual duties,a�? he said.