Man kills sister-in-law’s boyfriend

Sukoluhle Ndlovu
Blood is thicker than water!

This saying aptly sums up an incident where a Kwekwe man fought and killed a 58-year-old man who was having an illicit affair with his brother’s wife in an attempt to save his brother’s marriage.

Tinashe Munganda from Kwekwe will spend the next eight years in jail for murdering the man who was allegedly having an affair with his sister-in-law.

Bulawayo High Court judge Justice Martin Makonese sitting at the Gweru High Court Circuit with assessors Chipo Junia Baye and Wellington Matemba convicted Munganda of Redcliff in Kwekwe with a lesser charge of culpable homicide.

Munganda had pleaded not guilty to murder but guilty of culpable homicide arguing that he did not intentionally kill Silas Chibi.

Presenting his judgment, Justice Makonese said Munganda acted irrationally, recklessly and was grossly negligent in the death of Chibi after he found out that he was having an affair with Emma Mawana, who was his brother’s wife.

Justice Makonese said Munganda caused an unnecessary loss of life as it was his brother’s wife who was having an affair adding that he acted as the one crying more than the bereaved.

“This court continues to shun people who take the law into their own hands and whoever takes one’s life will be given an appropriate sentence. You are therefore sentenced to eight years in prison of which three years is suspended for five years on condition you do not commit a similar offence,” he said.

Prosecuting, Mirirai Shumba told the court that on May 1, 2014 at around 4pm, Munganda, who was drinking beer at Torwood Shops in Redcliff met Chibi and confronted him over the sexual relationship with his sister-in-law.

He was not pleased by the response given by the now deceased and an altercation ensued resulting in the two fighting.

Chibi ran away and Munganda chased after him and when he caught him, the fight continued leading to him pulling out his home made knife and stabbing Chibi on the left upper arm.

The court heard that Chibi fell to the ground and started bleeding from the resultant wound and died.

His body was only discovered the following morning by a passerby. Munganda was then arrested.