LIFE is not looking rosy for FC Platinum in the Caf Champions League.
Fresh from a 2-0 defeat to Esperance – the reigning Caf Champions League title holders – last Friday, hot on the heels of a nil-all draw against Orlando Pirates less than a fortnight ago, the team needs more than just pulling their socks to progress to the next stage of the competition.
B-Metro Sport gives you snippets of FC Platinum’s journey thus far in numbers.
1. FC Platinum has picked up just one point in Group B of the Caf Champions League with their South African neighbours and opponents Orlando Pirates leading the group with four points. Esperance of Tunisia are second, also on four points, followed by FC Platinum and lastly Horoya of Guinea on fourth place with a single point.
3. Three players, goalkeeper and captain Petros Mhari, defender Elvis Moyo, midfielder Kevin Madzongwe have played all the six matches – since the preliminary stages of the Caf Champions League – and completed the 90 minutes of each game.
5. Until the 2-0 defeat to Tunisian giants Esperance last Friday, FC Platinum were on a five-match unbeaten run -a win and four draws – in the competition since the preliminary stages.
6. With the exception of Rodwell Chinyengetere who left for Baroka FC in South Africa, coach Norman Mapeza has played around with six attackers to find the right combination upfront namely Gift Mbweti, Lameck Nhamo, Albert Eonde, Thomas Chideu, Ali Sadiki and Mkhokheli Dube.
7. In the six matches FC Platinum has played in the Caf Champions League, the team has picked seven yellow cards and no player has been sent off.
8. Of the 29 registered players that FC Platinum assembled to take on the continental football onslaught, Mapeza has used 20 players, leaving out nine players who are yet to play a part in the competition.
Group B Fixtures
FC Platinum vs Horoya (Barbourfields) 1500 Hrs;
Orlando Pirates vs Esperance (Orlando Stadium) 2100 Hrs
Horoya vs FC Platinum (28 September Stadium) 1300 Hrs
Esperance vs Orlando Pirates (Stade Olympique) 2000 Hrs
Orlando Pirates vs FC Platinum (Orlando Stadium) 2100 Hrs
Esperance vs Horoya (Stade Olympique) 2000 Hrs
Horoya vs Orlando Pirates (28 Setember Stadium) 1300 Hrs
FC Platinum vs Esperance (Barbourfields) 1500 Hrs