mango seed

Child chokes on mango seed

Andile Tshuma

TRAGEDY struck a Gwabalanda family when a six-year-old boy died after chocking on a mango seed Tuesday evening.

The tragic incident, which left Gwabalanda residents shell shocked occurred at around 5pm when the deceased, whose name is being withheld to protect a minor involved, was fed a mango by his cousin in Grade 7 at a local school.

The deceased suffered from a disability, cerebral palsy. Neighbours who spoke to the news crew said they rushed to the scene after hearing loud screams from family members for help when the tragic incident was unfolding.

“They tried to render first aid to the deceased, and to help him cough it out by hitting him on his back but there was no success. He was rushed to the clinic but was pronounced dead there. We were very shocked because it all happened very fast. We were left helpless,” said a neighbour who identified herself f as MaNkomo.

“This is very painful for any family to bear. It will haunt this other child who was feeding his younger cousin and I hope that they take all children who were there for counselling,” said another neighbour who identified herself as Mrs Mzizi.

When the news crew arrived at the home, the immediate family was not at home as they were processing funeral arrangements.

Bulawayo Police Spokesperson Chief Inspector Precious Simango confirmed the incident.

“We received a report on the death of a 6-year-old child who died following swallowing a mango. The now deceased was being fed a mango by his cousin. In the process, the mango seed was accidentally swallowed,” said Chief Inspector Simango.

She said the cousin then informed the mother of the deceased who rushed him to Luveve Clinic.

The boy was pronounced dead on arrival at the clinic and his body was taken to United Bulawayo Hospitals for post mortem.