Caps United player fined for disarming cop

CAPS United player Nicholas Alifandika might be summoned by the Castle Lager Premier Soccer League Disciplinary Committee amid allegations that last Thursday he was fined for disarming and knocking offA� a police officera��s hat duringA� their controversy marred match against Hwange.

The match was played at the Colliery Stadium and the coal miners won the match 2-1.

According to a police source in Hwange, Alifandika who was among the eight Caps United players who fell victim to refereea��s (Bonawali Bonali) yellow card dishing spree at the start of the second half, a�?assaulted the police officer by removing the copa��s hat.a�?

Tendai Samanja, Tapiwa Kumbuyani, Dominic Mukandi, Tafadzwa Dube, George Nyirenda, Stephen Makatuka andA� Honey Chimutimunzeve were cautioned after they jumped the fence when entering the pitch. Chimutimunzeve, who had been yellow-carded earlier, was duly sent off.

a�?After Caps United players jumped over the fence to gain entrance into the pitch the referee gave them yellow cards. Police officers had to rush in and protect the referee as the players charged at the match official.

a�?Alifandika ran to one of the officers and removed his hat intending to manhandle the cop. Alifandikaa��s conduct to the police officer was regarded as assault,a�? said the police source.

The police source added that Alifandika, who went on to disarm the police officer of his button stick, paid a fine of $20 as admission of guilt.

Caps United, who felt they were robbed by the match officials, ended the match with just eight men on the pitch after having three players sent off.

But before the controversy, there was a brief stoppage in the 10th minute as Caps United officials reportedly demanded that the referees change their red shirts which clashed with Hwangea��s red and black strip.

After a brief stoppage, the match resumed with Hwange doing much of the probing and the coalminers were rewarded in the 20th minute when Alec Marime thrust them into the lead.

There was another stoppage in the 30th minute after the hosts were awarded a penalty as the referee adjudged that Farai Vimisayi had been fouled in the penalty box by Asani Nhongo.

This reportedly irked the visitors who angrily reacted to the decision, culminating in the referee ordering two Makepekepe officials off the pitch.