1. Most cockroaches dislike the light. They come out at night to eat food in your kitchen. If you turn on the light, theya��ll quickly scatter.
2. The American cockroach can grow up to two inches long.
3. The Oriental cockroach is especially dirty. It has a foul smell.
4. Cockroaches are a big problem in crowded cities and apartment buildings. They like warmth and often live in warm areas, such as Texas, Florida and Arizona.
5. Cockroaches can live for one month without food.
6. A cockroach can live up to one week without its head.
7. Cockroaches can run up to three miles per hour.
8. Over 100 000 species of flies live on earth.
9. Flies lay their eggs on fruit, food, other animals and even rotting flesh. Their larvae are known as maggots. They look like bits of rice.
10. Flies dona��t have teeth. Instead, they have a long tongue called a proboscis, which sucks up food like a straw. Some flies drink nectar or blood. House flies like the food we eat. When a fly lands on your lunch, it vomits on the food.
Acids in the vomit dissolve the food so the fly can suck it up. Disgusting!
11. Flies like to eat manure, which is animal poop, or old garbage. Some of the germs from these materials can stay on their feet or mouth parts. When a fly lands on your food, those germs get on your food. Super disgusting!
12. Flies carry disease. During the Spanish-American War, 5 000 soldiers died from typhoid, a disease spread by flies. Only 4 000 soldiers actually died in the war.